The history of golf goes back in time (960 to 1279 A.D.) during the Chinese Song Dynasty. Whether you're a beginner or an advanced player, golf is considered the most challenging sport to play well and consistently. Test your skills on these top golf courses in the United States.
Top Golf Courses in the U.S.
1. Pebble Beach was opened in 1919. It is located in California and hugs the West Coast's Pacific Ocean. It is one of the more beautiful and prestigious courses and has hosted major golf tournaments including five U.S. Opens and a PGA Championship.
2. The Bethpage Black course opened in 1936 and is located at Bethpage State Park on Long Island, New York. The course is designed for serious golfers. It has hosted the U.S. Open, PGA Championship, and The Barclays and scheduled for the 2024 Ryder Cup.
3. Streamsong Golf Resort and Spa opened in 2014 and is located in Bowling Green Florida. Since it opened, it has been referred to as one of the top new golf courses. Streamsong offers three golf courses called "Red,” ”Blue,” and ”Black”, each known for their own identity and features.
4. Harbor Town Golf Links is located at Hilton Head Is., South Carolina, is simply known as "Hilton Head" and was founded in 1967. It is best known for hosting the top-rated and prestigious RBC Heritage or PGA Heritage Classic which was first played in 1969.
5. Bandon Dunes Resort is located in Bandon, OR was established on May 19, 1999. Brandon Dunes five courses, which fight the wind, are built on or near the Pacific Ocean on the Oregon Coast. At one time, its Pacific Course was rated higher than Pebble Beach. Brandon Dunes is known for its USGA Armature Championships.
6. TPC Sawgrass (Players Stadium Course) is located in Ponte Vedra Beach, FLA. It was established in 1982 and is considered the home of The Players Championship (TPC). The course was designed to enhance the fan's view of the golfers’ performances by constructing a natural rolling terrain (stadium style). The hallmark of the TPC Sawgrass course, on the 17th hole, was built on a peninsula which resembles a lollipop. At one time in a tournament, 50 golf balls missed the peninsula.
7. The Kiawah Island Resort (Ocean Course) is located in Kiawah Island, SC which opened in 1991. The course provides the golfers a view of the Atlantic Ocean's shoreline which imposes challenges due to strong winds. There are five courses at the Resort. The tournaments at the Kiawah course include the Ryder Cup, The PGA Club Professional Championship, the Senior PGA Championship, and the PGA Championship.
8. Whistling Straits Golf Club (Straits) is located at Kohler, WIS and was opened in 1998. The Straits are considered the best championship course in the United States and has hosted the PGA Championships three times, the U.S. Senior Open and will host the 2020 Ryder Cup. The course is built along the Lake Michigan shoreline and influenced by the Irish links. It has large dune bunkers.
9. Pinehurst Resort is located in Pinehurst, NC and opened in 1907. Pinehurst was built in a pine forest and offers nine courses. It is said that Pinehurst has hosted more golf championships than any course in the United States and is one of the most challenging golf courses to play.
10. Torrey Pines is located In San Diego, CA and was built in 1957. It is one of the few municipal golf courses that the PGA has taken interest in. It has regularly hosted the Farmers Insurance Open since the late 1960s on the PGA Tour. It hosted the 2008 U.S. Open won by Tiger Woods and will host the 2021 U.S. Open.